Sense of humour?

In my ancient Greek class recently we've been translating from Aristophanes' Clouds, which is a satirical comedy. I find some bits funny, but for the most part it's difficult for me to find humour in Socrates sitting in a basket in the air and talking about putting wax booties on a flea to measure the length of its leap. We tend to think that some things are universally funny but clearly that's not the case. Humour has a strong cultural and situational bias... that being the case, I shall think twice before I accuse someone of having no sense of humour.

(My disclaimer to that, naturally, is Black Books. Surely everyone finds that show hilarious??)

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - cassa verba - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template