Blast from the past

Yesterday I received an e-mail from a school friend with whom I have not had contact for 19 years. NINETEEN years, and she tracked me down through the Friends Reunited website - I'd forgotten I was even a member of the site. It was great to hear from her and I'm looking forward to catching up properly. What was weird, however, was not trying to condense 19 years into one e-mail, but working out exactly what I've been doing for 19 years. "Well, I worked for about 15 years in the same industry... have moved house 9 times... quit my job and moved interstate to go to uni... yep, that's about it..." I'm sure I've been quite busy - really! - but when it's in an e-mail it sounds like nothing at all. Of course, there are many things that I wouldn't bother putting in an e-mail - I've made new friends, lost some old friends, had some emotional lows, felt spiritually barren, felt spiritually on fire, been bored, loved my life, had my heart broken, contributed to the heartbreak of others, changed churches, supported friends through hard times and joyous times... these things are all part of my life experience, and all contribute to making me the person I am today... but how to express that in an e-mail that answers the question "what have you done since we left school?"

This friend is keen to organise a reunion next year, when it will be 20 years since we finished Year 12. I'm not sure how I feel about THAT. I didn't exactly love being at high school and I'm not sure I want to relive the glory days! (Added to that, I'm not sure I would remember anyone, even with name tags. I don't think I've had contact with any schoolmates since about a week after I left.)




0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - cassa verba - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template