A new start... again

I seem constantly to make resolutions about changing various areas of my life... then making said resolution again some months later after having slipped back into slothery again. Nevertheless, I woke up this morning determined to get some control over the areas of my life that I've allowed to slip away into lazy and self-destructive habits. With that in mind, I went to the pantry and threw out the remains of the cooking chocolate and the half-jar of Nutella (well, the contents, at least... I kept the jar) and took inventory of the fridge and pantry. Mostly it's pretty good, but that's because it's nearly empty. There's very little junk food but there's not much healthy food either. I'll be going out later to buy some more veges and fruit, and to cook up a few healthy things for the freezer. I think laziness is part of the problem - it's not that I don't like eating healthy stuff; it's that it's easier to make crumpets and honey, or cheese on toast, or a sausage sandwich. High fat, zero vegetable. At least if I have the freezer stocked well there's a chance I'll eat food that's a bit more healthy. I'm also keeping a better track of what I'm eating, because accountability, even if it's just to a notebook, helps me not to graze thoughtlessly.

I also rode my exercise bike this morning - and the fact that I could only manage 10 minutes shows how long it's been since I did any proper exercise. I used to do an hour every day! This afternoon I'll be doing my regular walk with a friend - we walk for about an hour, once a week. It's not enormously strenuous (we can still talk comfortably) but it's still more exercise than I've done in about two years so I'm happy to keep doing it. Even a moderately easy walk for one hour is far better than no walk at all.

Part of this is to lose some weight, as my clothes are getting rather snug and I'm feeling like a blob, but also it's because I know how much better I function in the other areas of my life when I'm eating properly and getting some exercise. My stress levels reduce and my concentration increases. (Hmmm... perhaps there's something in this 'eat properly and get some exercise' thing...) So, between the exercise, the better eating, and the Bible reading and prayer, I'm feeling quite good today. Hopefully this will be reflected in better focus on uni work too.




0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - cassa verba - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template