Drawing near to God

"On the one hand, a former commandment is set aside because of its weakness and uselessness (for the law made nothing perfect), but on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God."
(Hebrews 7 v 18-19)

I've been thinking about the idea of drawing near to God; and the significance of the fact that Jesus' death and resurrection allows us to draw near to God. I guess there are two pictures here... one is of us standing still, being approached by God whether we want it or not - but potentially this leaves unsure about what God thinks of us, or whether we're welcome in God's presence at any other time. The other is of us approaching God boldly, being sure of our welcome. What's the real difference?

When I was growing up we were great friends with the family next door - the mother of the family is my godmother, in fact. Our properties were separated by a wooden fence, but some years before I was born my father cut a gate into the fence, so we had access to each other's backyards. I never asked permission to go next door, nor did I have to wait for an invitation. I certainly never used the front door! Did I wait for them to approach me? No. Did I ever hesitate or fear to go next door? No, of course not, because I was absolutely sure of my welcome. That's what it's like with God - because of Jesus, I am absolutely sure of my welcome with God. Of course God does draw near to us too, but I feel we shouldn't underestimate what it means that we can draw near to God. I'm not hanging around just waiting for God; I can approach the creator of the universe with confidence, knowing I'll be welcomed, accepted and loved. How great is that??


0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - cassa verba - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template