Big Fishy Prairie

Yes, I'm several years late to the party, but I've just watched Big Fish. My goodness, what a delightful film. Tim Burton is such a great director - I haven't seen all his work but I've loved everything I've seen. I think it's a combination of being a good director and also making very very good choices. I did find it reminiscent of O Brother, Where Art Thou? but only in its sense of fantasy. Big Fish, despite being based on storytelling, and therefore fantasy, seemed much more based in reality. That sounds like a contradiction, I realise... anyway, I liked it.

The other movie I saw recently is A Prairie Home Companion. It's impossible to say what it's about - in fact it really has no plot to speak of - yet it's compelling and warm and funny. The characters don't do anything particular and they don't tell you much about their lives yet I felt like I knew them; and it was obvious which stories they'd been retelling for decades and which arguments they'd had before, and what really motivated their thinking.

Anyway, these were two films I'd happily buy on DVD.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - cassa verba - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template