Ripped off joke #8... and Jesus

Two racehorses are in their stable having a chat. One says, "I can't believe how fast I was in that last race - it was by far my best time ever. It's weird, though... I had this sharp pain in my hindquarters just before the race started." The second horse says, "Funny you should mention that. I had MY best time ever in my last race - I finished two minutes ahead of all the other horses. And I felt a sharp pain in MY hindquarters too! How strange."

A dog walks by and says, "You horses are idiots. Don't you release you've been injected with performance enhancing drugs? That's why you did so well - you were drugged and the race was rigged!"

There is a long, stunned silence. Finally one of the horses turns to the other and says, "I'm so shocked. I just can't believe it..... a talking dog!"

Believe it or not, that joke cropped up in Bible study tonight. We were looking at the bit in Matthew were Jesus heals the guy in the temple with the shrivelled hand. The thing is, though, it's on the Sabbath. The Pharisees say, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?" They appear to have missed the point - why aren't they saying, "WOW! Jesus healed someone! Isn't he amazing and powerful and compassionate!" ?? Much like the horses in the joke, they've completely missed the point and are concentrating on a side issue that's really not important at all. It's incredibly obtuse... and it's not just the Pharisees who are guilty of it, either. We tend to get so caught up in stuff - which is often good stuff - that we forget all about grace; and forget that Jesus is amazing and powerful and he loves us even if we don't have 6 quiet times a week.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - cassa verba - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template